- Diese Veranstaltung hat bereits stattgefunden.
Female Skilled Labor Migration Across the Globe
6. Februar 2023, 18:00 bis 20:00
For the hybrid kick-off event to the public lecture series “Female Skilled Labor Migration Across the Globe”, Prof. Eleonore Kofman (Middlesex University) and Prof. Parvati Raghuram (The Open University) will discuss how the field of labor migration research has evolved to consider the experiences of skilled female migrants. Despite women’s large share in global movements, the quintessential skilled migrant in many people’s minds is usually a white man, whereas women are often envisioned to follow their husbands in the latters’ global career endeavors. Prof. Kofman and Prof. Raghuram were among the first to draw attention to the neglect of women as skilled migrants . In this event, they will discuss whether or not women migrants have become more visible in public and academic discourses and how scholarship could profit from including a spotlight on the Global South.
Further events in this lecture series include:
- 28 November 2022 (6pm; virtual): Qulsom Fazil “Stories across three generations of British Pakistani females living in the UK”
- 15 December 2022 (6pm; in person): Anja Weiß “Socio-spatial autonomy of female skilled migrants”
- 16 January 2023 (6pm; virtual): Yonson Ahn “Caring with emotion: Korean nurses in Germany”
- 06 February 2023 (6pm; in person): Radha Sarma Hegde “License to dream: Skilled mobilities and the politics of gender”