The Goethe Research Academy for Early Career Researchers (GRADE) awards 15 starting scholarships for international doctoral candidates at Goethe University. The scholarships are funded by the Franz Adickes Stiftungsfonds. They are open for international doctoral candidates right at the start and in the early phase of their doctoral project at the university.
International doctoral candidates face special challenges at the start of their doctorate in Frankfurt, namely considerable costs for mobility, furnishing an apartment, fees at public authorities etc. The scholarships are intended to facilitate the start of the doctoral project and to provide funding for the first few months in Frankfurt. The scholarship amounts to 1350 € per month for a period of three months. Only persons with an international background in the first 12 months of their doctoral project can apply. Grantees of a starting scholarship cannot have substantial employment or another scholarship during the period of the starting scholarship.
Applications are possible until September 30, 2022 by submission of the following documents:
- Completed application form (German Version / English Version)
- CV and a copy of the last academic degree (with grades)
- Documents on your doctoral project at Goethe University:
- either faculty letter of admission as doctoral candidate at Goethe University Frankfurt
- or specific declaration by supervisor that she / he will supervise your doctoral project
- Short proposal of your doctoral project (two DIN A4 pages maximum)
- A clear plan, countersigned by the supervisor, for obtaining sustainable funding for the entire doctoral project
You can download the application form here: German Version / English Version
Please read the FAQ before you prepare and submit your application: German Version / English Version
Download Data Privacy Statement
Please send your complete application documents by E-Mail as one single pdf document to:
Dr. Matthias Köhler
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-49402
Deadline for applications: September 30, 2022!
 Small-scale employment is possible if the content and purpose of the employment are clearly different from the scholarship. For details, see FAQ.